Home » ABOUT » History

1937-Photo-of-McG_smallMcGuffey Art Center was established in 1975. The City of Charlottesville and McGuffey Art Association shared the renovation of the former McGuffey School, which was built in 1916.  School rooms were transformed into light and airy studios.  The building contains three galleries, offering the largest display space in Charlottesville. The gallery space is accented by a gift shop which carries a variety of members’ art throughout the year. The Center hosts a large array of educational opportunities in visual and performing art. Presently, the Association is comprised of over forty-five renting members who have a studio located in McGuffey and over eighty-five Associate members who do not rent studio space. All members may exhibit in the galleries and in the gift shop and have access to the classroom facilities. In 2009, The McGuffey Art Center was registered as a historic building.